Oklahoma Same Sex Step Parent Adoptions are no longer a prohibited method of parentage. With the Supreme Court’s ruling establishing a right to same-sex marriage, laws in all the states including Oklahoma have expanded several rights for LGBT couples. One of these new rights is for same sex step parent adoptions. For years, without the right to marry we haven’t been able to accommodate the adoption needs of children and their same sex parents. Over the years parentage has been done by agreement or a wink and and smile. But times have changed and so has the Oklahoma family
The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same:
Although the law changed for same-sex step parents they’ve entered an adoption scene that’s been in place for several years. Over the years, the Family Courts in Tulsa have done countless step parent adoptions. The rules are well established with procedures well known to family attorneys in Tulsa. In regards to step-parent adoptions, the same-sex couple must have been married for at least one year. The biological father or mother of the child must either consent to the adoption or the adopting couple must seek to have the biological parent’s rights terminated. Direct placement or private adoptions have similar requirements, but also include home studies and potentially temporary orders. In either type of adoption, there may be a best interest hearing on whether or not final adoption orders should be entered.
Are the Rules Different for Same Sex Step Parent Adoption:
My same-sex clients still call asking if there’s any special rules. They all really know that the answer is no-but like me the newness of it causes a moment of pause. I’ll say it again, there aren’t any special requirements for LGBT spouses or couples. The same steps and processes were in place prior to the establishment of the right to same-sex marriage, they are just rights extend to same-sex spouses as a result of the Supreme Court’s ruling.
- Dividing Debts in Tulsa Divorce
- Paternity Testing Discussed by Tulsa Family Lawyers
- Tulsa Lawyers Discuss Genetic Testing in Oklahoma Divorce or Paternity
- Tulsa lawyers Discuss Guardianship by Power of Attorney
- Tulsa Divorce Stops Parents Taking Kids Out of State
- Oklahoma Same Sex Step Parent Adoptions
- Explanation of Protective Orders
- Family Emergency Custody in Oklahoma
- Marital and Separate Property in Divorce
- Oklahoma Alimony Information
- Some Facts about Divorce in Tulsa
- Mediation in Tulsa Divorce and Family Law
- Explanation of Temporary Injunction
- Alimony and Tulsa Divorce
- How To Change Your Childs Name in Tulsa
- Where Do I File Divorce Tulsa Oklahoma?
- Tulsa High Conflict Divorce Attorneys
- Grandparents Rights in Family Law
- Who Gets Your Inheritance in a Tulsa Divorce?
- Relocating With Your Child After Divorce
- Oklahoma Child Support How Much You Pay
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Step-Parent Adoption
- Temporary Guardianship Through Power of Attorney
- Same Sex Child Custody
- Uncontested Divorce
- How Long it Takes For a Divorce in Oklahoma?
- Divorce and Child Support
- Divorce and Child Custody
- Oklahoma Same Sex Divorce
- Divorce and Paternity
- Child Support Attorneys in Tulsa
- Mediation and Divorce
- Child Custody and Child Preference
- Where Do I File Divorce in Tulsa?
- Oklahoma Divorce Process Overview
- New Divorce Requirements for Oklahomans
- Tulsa Child Custody Attorneys